Give the people what they want

January 25, 2009 at 1:13 am Leave a comment

I am sitting on our big brown couch – the first and only couch we’ve ever owned – listening to static on the monitor. By means of this nifty little contraption, I can hear the goings on in the nursery, which is as far from where I am as any spot could be while still being in our apartment. The building is pretty old and solid, and it is safe to say that even though we all live on one floor, I would not hear any sort of sonic event going on down there without the aid of this device. And so I sit here gratefully and quietly, as the six other creatures in my midst drift towards sleep and beyond. I walked in to check on Alex and saw her and JJ, both passed out on the bed, having earned their exhaustion in their own unique ways. 

I should mention that I am waiting for an alarm – in the form of a squeaking, grunting or screaming infant – to rouse me from my slouch and pull me into action. We are transitioning with the night feedings – trying to stretch them out a bit, trying to reclaim the dark side of our days. Last night Alex and I administered feedings at 12 and then 4, and then around 7:30 (I’d like to take credit for that one, but it was actually Jane in there in my place as I showered and drove off to the clink to pick up our newly dis-herniated Leviticus.) During the day it was mostly back to every three hours, as we gradually tweaked timings to get back on our beloved 2:30, 5:30, 8:30, 11:30 merry-go-round.

A few peeps on the monitor, and someone, maybe Pablo?, saying “meeeeee,” and then silence. I’ll just wait here, typing to you, until one of the brethren’s vocalizations reach that certain threshold of seriousness that means come and come now, drop your computer and your tea and please refill my tank and if you hesitate much further I’m gonna bring the ruckus. I want them to last until 12, at which point I’ll probably just commence the ritual, ruckus or no. I will try, at that point, to coax them into taking just a little bit extra, and then urge them reasonably quickly to sleep. Therafter, the goal is to try to guesstimate just that time that they’ll be slightly stirring, rather than jumping the gun with our traditional 2:30 event, or letting them go too long and then wrangling with triple terror of the ravenous variety. Last night at this time, Pablo took 170 cc (close to 6 oz.), and he continues to terrify with his endless and agitated thirst for life. He is over 9 pounds now, and I forever hope he doesn’t eat his brothers. He had been going through a particularly fussy period, and I think the solution is it’s a growth spurt, and we need to really listen to him when he tells us he’s still hungry (by, among other things, wrapping his mouth around his shirt, brothers, appendages, or my nose). 

Now someone said “oooooh” and then coughed. And now silence. I apologize – especially to the smaller readers of this blog, for whom my words most likely offer limited entertainment at best – for no photo today. The camera’s here with some good stuff on it, but I can’t find that little transfer cable. I know it’s where I left it, and I know that’s some place dumb. Hopefully ’twill all be sorted by tomorrow. 

11:37. I’m still sitting here. I guess it’s possible Satchel has figured out how to speak in a gentle whisper that is beyond the monitor’s capacity, and that he may be organizing some crib mayhem as I write this, but I’ll give that small yellow man the benefit of the doubt. I know he’s glad to get his brother back, and to lie, kicking his two legs up and down in swaddled unison like some great beached fish, in celebration. 

That’s how I found him, actually, at 11:50 or so tonight, which now was 70 minutes ago. The boys came to life, and Satch was flapping to the music of his brothers, featuring Levi on percussive screams and Pablo on melodious farts. And though these boys have a bona fide track record as recording artists, I’ll ask you to trust me when I say there was no syncing going on here – this was as live a performance as you’re gonna find. 

The boys are down again, the night still – but for the flowing sounds of bubbling water, emitted from a small stuffed lamb that arrived in the mail recently, and reaching me via that same monitor that ushered in this blog entry. I will now go join my warm wife and cat in our chamber, and hope that we might sleep until maybe 3:45. Then we’ll see if big Al lets me off the hook for that one on account of time served. I am happy to have my family under one roof again, growing and healing. I’ll find that cord for you tomorrow, I promise.


Entry filed under: update.

Levi’s moment a view from the tummy time zone

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 13 other followers

January 2009
« Dec   Feb »
Vote For Us @ TopBaby Blogs! The Best Baby Blog Directory



Blog Stats

  • 70,295 hits

Top Clicks

  • None

%d bloggers like this: